First impressions are everything right? Our house is giving off a pretty sad first impression. Like a, ‘do I really want to go in there?’, ‘is this the house from Texas Chainsaw Massacre?’ kind of impression. I’m okay with some people not wanting to enter, but for the most part, I would like our home to be welcoming and pleasing to the eye.
The paint is peeling off of the metal siding in chunks. We need to add some landscaping. And the front door could use a fresh coat of paint. I decided to the easiest/fastest fix would be the front door. Our house is white, so I thought choosing a paint color for the front door would be a piece of cake…it wasn’t. My first thought was something dark to hide all the dirt and stains that will inevitably end up on the door, but navy and black ended up being too much of a contrast. Then I thought a fun, bright color would be nice, but they all seemed too bright next to the bright white.
I ended up with a nice teal with gray undertones. It’s happy…but not too happy. Like a blue that looks like it likes to have a good time, know what I mean??
I wanted the color to be the same on both the front and back of the door. Luckily I haven’t picked a color for the entry way, so I was pretty much free to do whatever color I wanted. Of course now, I will have to choose my entry way wall paint accordingly.
The first coat went on fast, I painted the whole door in about twenty minutes and left it to dry for twenty-four hours. That twenty-four hours turned into about a week while I got distracted with other projects…mostly painting trim in the kitchen. It’s taking forever. So this is what one coat looks like.
After I FINALLY got around to that much-needed second coat, I pulled out my favorite tool. My 99¢ razor blade scraper. It’s seriously one of my favorite tools. I hate prep work, especially taping things off before I paint. I know it’s necessary, and will save me a lot of time later in most cases, but I still hate it. And in this case (painting glass areas) taping would have been a complete waste of time. I used a latex paint which made for extra easy scraping.
As you can see we also went ahead and switched out the handle for a new one and added a deadbolt (which helps me sleep better at night). I would really like to just take off that screen door, but the flies out here are out. of. control. so it’s really quite necessary. I do plan on replacing it one of these days though. Still a lot of work to do to make the front of the house more inviting, but at least we are one step closer!