I started blogging because I needed a creative outlet while I made the transition from designer to stay at home mom. It also helps me stay connected to the design world that I left behind in Kansas City. It’s been fun to document our life here on the farm and give our friends and family (and anyone else interested) back home a glimpse into our lives.
I’ve been able to connect with a lot of other great bloggers/blogs, like, Blended Ever After and Time 2 Refuel, who both recently nominated me for a Liebster Award. This award is passed around the blogging community to recognize each others work and to help new blogs grow. Here’s how it works: I answer 11 questions posed to me by the person who nominated me. Then, I nominate 11 other bloggers who have less than 200 followers via social media and ask them 11 new questions. Then, they answer my questions, link me in their post, and send out their own nominations! So, thank you to Blended Ever After and Time 2 Refuel for the nomination, and here are my answers to your questions:
1. How did you come up with your blog’s name and/or premise? It’s kind of silly, but since we are literally in the middle of Kansas, I thought I’d do a play on Wizard of Oz’s yellow brick road. Only gold instead, because gold is better….always.
2. Of all the posts you wrote until now, which one is your favorite and why? I’m a sucker for a good before and after post. My favorite of mine is probably “Do These Stripes Make Me Look Fat” where I did a before and after of our downstairs bathroom. It’s proof that a good paint job can completely transform a space.
3. What’s one of your favorite personal qualities/characteristics? I like to think I’m a pretty relate-able mom. I am not a perfect parent by any means. Our house is messy 90% of the time, sometimes I feed my kid mac and cheese from a box (shudder!), and some days I need a combo of coffee and wine to get through the day, but I love my family more than anything!
4. If You Won The Lottery, What Would Be The First Thing You’d Do? Well, of course I’d pay off my student loans first (boring!) and then I’d travel, travel, travel!
5. Are you a planner? Or are you spontaneous? Both. I used to be a lot more spontaneous before I had a child. Funny how that happens…
6. What’s your idea of a perfect trip? Wine tasting in Napa, exploring a new city on foot, or laying on a beach with a fruity drink…..any of these would be perfection
7. Who’s a source of inspiration for you? My daughter. She’s so brave, she has no fear. Everything is so new to her and she is so curious about everything. She makes me want to get off my butt and go explore!
8. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
“The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.” -Margaret Nadauld
9. What’s one piece of advice you are tired of hearing from others? Oh lord, anything about parenting!…Parenting is such a different journey for every mother/father, what works for your child does not necessarily work for my child and vice versa.
10. And what’s one you would like to share? Live your own life. I feel like with social media there is so much more pressure to be like someone else or constantly compare yourself to others. I think everyone just needs to be present in their own lives and enjoy what you have.
11. What’s your guiltiest pleasure? Real Housewives of Anything…I know they’re ridiculous and I cannot relate to 90% of their lives, but I can watch it and zone out for hours.
Now, it’s my turn to nominate: Makeup and Marbles, Coffee Break Blogger, Naturally Nerdy Mommas, Moments Big and Small, Traveling Sarah’s Blog, Let It Be Told!, The Racing Thoughts of a Social Work Mom, I’d Rather Make It Myself, Natural Hair Care For Kids, Wading Through The Waters, Sculpted Me
Here are my 11 questions for you! Happy blogging!
1. Why did you decide to start blogging?
2. Of all the posts you wrote until now, which one is your favorite and why? Share a link!
3. What’s your favorite quote?
4. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
5. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
6. What’s an accomplishment you’re really proud of?
7. How would you spend a million dollars?
8. What’s your favorite family activity?
9. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
10. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
11. What’s the number one thing on your bucket list?