Writing this post after a good nights sleep. A night of sleep without a toddler foot in my ribs. A night of sleep without a tiny arm landing on my face. A night of sleep where I got to lay comfortably in any position my little heart desired. No numb arms, no body parts hanging off the bed, no rolling over and silently praying I don’t wake someone up.
The reason for this awesome nights sleep?!
The kids’ room is finally done and they are both sleeping…wait for it….IN THEIR OWN BEDS!! (high fives self!)
I decided before Bowen was even born that the kids would share a room for a while. How long? I don’t know yet, but right now they are both doing really good sharing and seem to enjoy having the other one near by. I enjoy having all of the diapers and little clothes and toys (and messes) all in one room. I also really like getting to keep our guest room for now. It’s nice to have a room clean and ready for guest at any given time.
I posted earlier about the ceiling in the kids’ room needing to be addressed. We thought long and hard (two years) about what we could cover it with. There were a surprising amount of options out there. We wanted something cheap, easy to apply, and of course, I wanted something that looked cool and fit in with our farmhouse. I loved the way rustic wood covered ceilings looked but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. Also this house is old, like a hundred years old, so the walls and floors and ceilings are not even close to being perfectly square. I knew that cutting pieces of wood to fit would be a nightmare and I wanted something easy to work with.
So….I ended up using faux wood peel and stick vinyl. The price was right and the look was right. We started with just a few to experiment and see how it looked and if it would even work. Right away, we loved how it looked and we also quickly realized that the sticky backside of the tiles were not enough to fight gravity and stay on the ceiling. We tried different adhesives, but ultimately the only thing that really kept the tiles up was a nail gun and brad nails. Is this a project I would recommend for everyone? No. So I won’t be doing a tutorial on it right now. Only time will tell if it was worth it or not. Since our ceiling was covered in paper (i.e. no texture), and in horrible shape, we felt we really didn’t have anything to lose with trying this. I will say that the tiles themselves were really easy to work with. (I’m already trying to think of other projects I can use them on) They were light and easy to score and cut to size. We love how it turned out and are crossing our fingers that it holds up well for a long time.
Here is what the room looked like before…
I ended up painting that gray wall to match the other three walls. With the ceiling being significantly darker, I wanted to lighten up the rest of the room as much as possible. We also switched out Hollis’ queen size bed for a trundle/daybed that my parents gave us. It gives the kids so much more room for play space and the trundle rolls out an pops up to match up with the other mattress to make a king size bed. It’s really versatile and Hollis loves it.
I also added some simple, black and white artwork. (More on that soon.) And I ended up painting the curtain rods from gold to black to brink out the black pom-pom trim on the curtains.
I also switched out the gray shelves and gold brackets. I tried to tie in the rustic “wood” ceiling with some rustic wood shelves and painted the brackets black. It was fun to add some special things for Bowen like daddy’s red tractors, a sailboat Brian and I bought years ago that’s followed us from house to house, and of course, his outfit he wore home from the hospital.
I needed another shelf for the room, but I wanted something that wasn’t too matchy-matchy with the other shelves. I immediately thought of this green one I found in the attic a while back. I loved the shade of green and that it was already rustic looking. The corbels on the shelf don’t match (one’s a closed circle and one is open) and there are like 20 holes in the front of it where I assume people have drove nails through it to hang since I couldn’t find any other trace of hanging hardware. I love all the quirky-ness of it and I love that it an be used in the house again.
I added two large D-rings on the back to hang it. I love these things! It’s perfect for Hollis’ special little things too and adds some nice color to the room.
So that’s it for now. I really like how it turned out. It fits in more with the modern farmhouse look I’ve been going with lately. I think I can officially cross this room off my to-do list…at least for a while!